31 July, 2016

A Nice Calm Summer Evening

A video I made a couple of weeks ago one evening at Ashcroft Airfield. Having flown my 'proper' models I committed my old GWS Tiger Moth to the air.



A fairly calm evening settled down to flat calm. The hot air balloons in the distance went up and down but didn't appear to make any movement over the the ground. I'd been flying various models all day and this was just a nice way to finish off as the sun started to set. The sunshine on various parts of the field made for bumps of rising air, particularly noticable when passing from the rough grass to over the airstrip. This Tiger Moth is an indoor model but if the bounces and breezes are accepted it will fly in a wind up to around 8mph.

The horse flies where enjoying having me for their evening meal which was quite a distraction whilst flying such a light model, they seemed to know when I was trying to pay extra attention to landing! It will take off from shortish grass but this evening the grass was more longish, so hand launches were necessary.